Tuesday, October 28, 2008

East African Savanna : Birds


In October 2008, I got an opportunity to spend some time in East African Savanna. I was in Kenya, about 50 miles away from Nairobi. The place was, couple of kilometers off “Trans African Highway” which connects Cairo in Egypt to Cape Town in South Africa.

I was there for 5 days, but busy with meeting and hardly got time to go out of compound. But on last day, finally I took opportunity to walk out and explore a bit.

During my stay, I saw few birds, I could not identify them all, but I thought I will share the pictures anyway, and request for help from you to help me identify them.



These sparrow like birds were commonly seen and were nesting on medium trees, like weavers. There call was resembling Indian Mynas. The White-browed Sparrow-weaver (Plocepasser mahali








There were colonies of Weaver Birds. I presume they are Speke's Weaver (Ploceus spekei). The males were busy building nests.




There were several trees having these nests.



One more bird, The Superb Starling (Lamprotornis superbus). Really very active bird.



And this looks like The Northern Pied-babbler (Turdoides hypoleuca) .

Thanks to Alka for Ids.

More bird pictures to come.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Ravi said...

Very nice pictures !!

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Chetan Giridhar said...

Chaan photo aahet!! It msut have been an excellent experience.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Narayani Barve said...

Good photos !! Thank you !!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Dr. Vasant Barve said...

Wonderful photos of virgin nature!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow, wild africa!!! may be, all nature lover's dream. pls upload if u've any photo of baobab tree.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger alka vaidya said...

white browed sparrow weaver,superb starling,baglafectch weaver.I saw 150 birds.I had bird book with me.
Alka Vaidya

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger alka vaidya said...

babbler ahe Northern pied babbler.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Suma TS said...

Hi Bhaiya,
Good pictures and comments. Like as though you are talking to me.
Suma Sanjeev

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Just Wonderful...!!
Thanks for sharing!!

I miss accompanying you for photography n learning new things from you..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home